Tuesday, August 02, 2005

not drunk but feeling hungover

So dinner w/ TWI peeps did in fact get moved to tomorrow, but Ryan took me to eat thai food. I just got a 3 hour lecture on how I should not take next summer off.... on how I should just pick a city and find all the places I want to work there.... on how I need to start building informal relationships with all these companies, starting with the secretaries...on how I should just go to said city where I can stay with a friend for a couple weeks and just show up at the places I've been talking to offering to just help out here and there.... for free. He even told me it'd be more fun than painting, building furniture, and working on my own portfolio. Why, oh why, did I decide to go into such an illusive field where I have to strategize, struggle, and beg my way in? So much for starting in the middle.

5 Comments:

At 3/8/05 12:58 AM, Blogger Cladeedah said...

HI ALLISON!! Hey, I hate to break it to you, but you gotta "network" these days in most industries.. unless you're a nurse or a teacher in a super-high demand place like Las Vegas.. then you're pretty much good as long as you havent molested anyone lately.

 
At 3/8/05 7:24 AM, Blogger allison said...

damn, then it looks like teaching/nursing in Vegas is out...

 
At 3/8/05 10:45 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

Networking will get you everywhere. Claudia's right- it's hard to break in anywhere without having a connection that people know and trust.

Well, I actually hear you can still teach if you've molested someone lately, as long as you can teach math. The Principal won't tell if you won't.

 
At 3/8/05 12:15 PM, Blogger Greg said...

See - learning a little math can help you in SO many ways.

 
At 5/8/05 1:44 AM, Blogger Cladeedah said...

Don't worry Ally, your secret is safe with me. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home